Prof. Ben Feringa wins Nobel Prize 2016 in Chemistry! We wish him many more years of exciting science!
News from the lab
- Our review paper “Drug delivery from engineered organisms and nanocarriers as monitored by multimodal imaging technologies” is published in AIMS Bioengineering (pdf)
- Our collaborative research paper “High-throughput simulations reveal membrane-mediated effects of alcohols on MscL gating” is accepted for publication in Journal of the American Chemical Society. The paper reports on the effects of alcohols on the gating of an ion channel. High-throughput coarse-grained molecular dynamics simulations and experimental data showed that short chain alcohols have an impeding effect on the opening threshold of the mechanosensitive channel of large conductance, MscL.
- Sambit Das and Anisa Nurani joined the Kocerlab for their master projects on AMPA receptors and nanodisks, respectively. We wish them lots of success in their projects.
- Priya Bodha joined the Kocerlab to perform her master project on a viral protein. We wish her lots of success in her studies.
- Prof. A Kocer joined the Editorial Board of Frontiers in Oncology as a Review Editor in Cancer Imaging and Diagnosis.
- Prof. Dame Carol Robinson is visiting University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen. In the second day of her visit to the Netherlands as “The Speaker of the Year 2016” of the Netherlands Society for Biochemistry and Biology (NVBMB), Prof. Robinson will be talking to principle investigators and giving a lecture.
- Our invited research paper “In situ, Reversible Gating of a Mechanosensitive Ion Channel through Protein-Lipid Interactions ” is published in Frontiers in Physiology (pdf)
- Claudio Tiecher started his five months collaborative project at the Osaka University under the guidance of Prof. Yasushi Okamura and Dr. Akira Kawanabe. Claudio will be learning modifying ion channels with a genetically encoded environment-sensitive fluorescent probe. His visit is supported by JASSO Scholarship Program through the exchange program between the Graduate School of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Osaka University and University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen.
- Armagan Kocer organized a session “Ion channels of the nervous system in health and disease” for the Dutch Neuroscience Meeting. A Kocer gave a talk, Marloes Scholten, and Claudio Tiecher presented two posters.
- Congratulations to Marloes Scholten for successfully defending her Master project on “Cloning and overexpression of Kv4.3-EGFP fusion protein in Pichia pastoris“. We wish her success and pleasure in her second project.
- Claudio Tiecher presented his work on voltage-gated ion channel Kv4.3 at the European Neuroscience Conference for Doctoral Students
- Armagan Kocer gave a lecture at “Biophysics of Protein-Lipid Interactions: From Model Systems to Cells” meeting in Bad Herrenalb, Germany. The joint meeting is organized by the Membrane Sections of the French and German Biophysical Societies.